A number of Dentists are now offering Neuromuscular Dentistry, which is a special branch of Dentistry focusing on the nerves, muscles, and the correct positioning of the jaw.

Neuromuscular dentistry will help treat TMJ disorder, which causes long lasting and frequent headaches. TMJ syndrome occurs when the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) that connects the upper and lower jaw is misaligned or stressed. This interference in the structure of the teeth causes the muscles to position the joints out of their sockets and forces the upper and lower teeth to fit together, causing the pain. Other common causes of TMJ are rheumatoid arthritis, airway obstruction, injuries, including whiplash and dislocation or displacement of the disk that is situated in between the socket and the jawbone.

TMJ disorder is a fairly new area of Neuromuscular Dentistry, though with ongoing advances in Neuromuscular Dentistry, there are a number of treatments for headaches caused by TMJ syndrome that will remove the symptoms permanently. Common symptoms of TMJ include, headaches or migraine, clicking of the jaw, limited jaw motions, grinding or clenching of the teeth and ear pain or congestion. Treatment of TMJ vary from simple interventions such as application of cold and hot packs on the affected area, trigger point therapy, diet modification, posture correction and relaxation of the temporomandibular joints. Treatments for TMD More complex treatments such as physical therapy and wearing of TMJ splint or surgery may be required.

Professor Ironside can perform a thorough evaluation of your particular situation and then prescribe an appropriate treatment to relieve the symptoms. Every person responds differently to TMJ treatments, however, the vast majority will experience an improvement in their TMJ symptoms. If you want to eliminate tension headaches or more server migraines caused by TMJ pain, then it is worth talking to Professor Ironside about a treatment plan for you.

Disclaimer: All Surgical Procedures Carry Risk. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.